In Luke 2 we find the story of the birth of Jesus. (=God saves) The eternal Son of God left heaven to become a human being, and in very humble circumstances too; a manger was his cradle.
Shepherds heard the angels proclaim the gospel - the happy news that the Saviour was born. They believed the words of the angel, and came to worship Jesus.
Old Testament prophecies fulfilled:
- At Bethlehem the shepherds kept watch over their flocks on the night when Jesus was born. Bethlehem, the birthplace of Shepherd King David, is where the great Son of David, the Good Shepherd (John 10:11) is born, as prophesied: “But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are small among the clans of Judah, out of you will come for me one who will be ruler over Israel, whose origins are from of old, from ancient times.” (Micah 5:2)
- Ezekiel 34:15,16 ‘I myself will tend my sheep and have them lie down, declares the Sovereign Lord. I will search for the lost and bring back the strays. I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak, but the sleek and the strong I will destroy. I will shepherd the flock with justice.’
- Isaiah 40:11 ‘He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young.’
- Isaiah 9:2 ‘The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of deep darkness a light has dawned.’
- Malachi 4:2 ‘But for you who revere my name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its rays. And you will go out and frolic like well-fed calves.’